- Calls & Dates
Call for Workshops
The organisers of the 14th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2017) invite the submission of workshop proposal. ESWC is a premier venue for discussing the latest scientific results and innovations in the field of semantic technologies on the Web and Linked Data, attracting a high number of participants from academia and industry alike. Co-located workshops at ESWC conferences are essential meeting points for discussing ongoing work and the latest ideas. Of particular interest are workshop proposals from an interdisciplinary standpoint, proposals focussing on central aspects of the Semantic Web and Web of Data, and those gathering sub-communities. We encourage the submission of workshop proposals on:
- Fundamental technical and theoretical problems of the Semantic Web / Linked Data,
- Applications of Semantic Web technologies in domains such as Mobility and Smart Cities, Life Sciences, Industry 4.0, Earth Science, Digital Humanities, Law, Media, etc.,
- Key enabling technologies and their adaptation to the needs of the Semantic Web,
- Aspects of Semantic Web research that have been neglected or underrepresented so far,
- Techniques and methods from other research fields that are of relevance for Semantic Web research (e.g., artificial intelligence, databases, NLP, big data analytics, machine learning, human computer interaction, information retrieval, web science, etc.), and
- New emerging topics and areas
General Information and Criteria
Each proposal will be reviewed by the members of the workshop programme committee, and ranked based on the overall quality of the proposal and the workshop's fit to the conference as detailed below. Their recommendations will determine the final decision on the acceptance / rejection of each proposal, which is to be taken by the Workshop Chairs as well as by the General Chair of ESWC 2017.
The criteria for judging the quality of workshop proposals are as follows:
- Workshops cover topics falling in the general scope of the ESWC conference.
- Workshops are intended to be genuine interactive events and not mini-conferences.
- We welcome workshops with creative structures and organisations that attract various types of contributions and ensure rich interactions.
- Workshops should have a clear focus on a specific technology, problem or application.
- There is a community interested in the workshop's topic.
- Workshop duration is normally expected to be half a day or a full day.
- We strongly advise having more than one organiser and no more than four, preferably from different institutions, bringing different perspectives to the workshop topic.
In case overlapping workshops are proposed, the Workshop Chairs may contact the organisers to discuss the possibility of merging workshops. Please note that the duration of a workshop might need to be adjusted based on the overall number of submissions received. Furthermore, workshops that receive less than 10 submissions or have less than 10 people registered at the early registration deadline might be canceled.
The organisers of accepted workshops will be responsible for their own reviewing process, best paper award, publicity (e.g., website, timelines and call for papers), and proceedings production. The organisers will also be required to closely cooperate with the Workshop Chairs and the ESWC 2017 Local Chairs to finalise all organisational details. Workshop attendees must pay the ESWC 2017 workshop registration fee, as well as the conference registration fee.
Each accepted workshop will get one free registration for one of its organisers for workshops and tutorials at the pre-conference days, i.e. he/she will only pay the main conference fee.
- Workshop proposals due: November 18th, 2016 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
- Notification of acceptance: December 2nd, 2016 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
- Workshop website due: December 20th, 2016 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
- Workshop camera-ready proceedings due: May 1st, 2017 - 23:59 Hawaii Time
- Workshop days: May 28th and 29th, 2017
Suggested Timeline for Workshop Papers
- Submission deadline: Friday March 3, 2017
- Notifications: Friday March 31, 2017
- Camera-ready version: Thursday April 13, 2017
Workshop proposals have to be submitted via EasyChair at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=eswc2017ws.
Each proposal must consist of a single PDF document written in English, not longer than four pages, which contains the following information:
- The title and brief technical description of the workshop, specifying its goals and motivation.
- A brief discussion of why the topic is of particular interest at this time.
- A brief description of why and to whom the workshop is of interest, the workshop audience, as well as the expected number of participants.
- A brief description (draft outline) of the proposed workshop format, discussing the mix of events and activities such as paper presentations, invited talks, panels, hacking sessions, or general discussion slots, and an approximate timeline.
- A list of (potential) members of the program committee (at least 50% have to be known and confirmed at the time of the proposal).
- An indication of whether the workshop should be considered for a half-day or full-day event.
- Related workshops and conferences, i.e. specify if this is the continuation of a workshop series or is a new workshop to address an emerging issue. Please provide information about past versions of this workshop and other related workshops (including URLs and submission / acceptance counts, if available).
- Names and contact information of the workshop organisers/chair(s) (name, affiliation, email address, homepage and short (one paragraph) biography of each chair, explaining the chair's expertise for the workshop including past experience in organising / facilitating workshops). Preferably provide a single contact person per submission.
The best papers from each workshop will be included in the supplementary proceedings of ESWC 2017, which will appear in the Springer LNCS series.
Fabio Ciravegna (University of Sheffield, UK)
Agnieszka Ławrynowicz (Poznan University of Technology, Poland)